Saturday, March 08, 2008

WHAT? Illegal to homeschool??

6 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

I normally don't post things like this, however, this subject is very dear to my heart. Our dear friends (Greg and Hurricane) shared with us last night some shocking information. You may or may not be aware but : A California Court of Appeal recently decided that homeschooling is illegal in California unless a parent is a certified teacher. Did you see that? Illegal????? After home schooling for eleven years I can't imagine not having the freedom homeschool my child, much less being told it is illegal because I don't have a teaching certificate. I am having a hard time with this...that someone could tell me it is illegal to do something like educating my child when The Lord God Almighty has commanded me and my household to do so? Oh, makes my blood boil I tell you!


I can not imagine how those in California that are currently homeschooling under a different option (w/o their teaching certificate) must feel. It makes me SICK to think about. I would MOVE before I had to comply with this new law. Though the days are long and the work is hard, and yes, I have had thoughts of quitting but was quickly snapped back to reality by The Lord I praise The Lord for the privilege to home school my daughter. Oh, forgive me Lord that I have taken such a great responsibility so lightly at times. It is a joy, an honor and pleasure to sacrifice my life and a career to invest in the life of my daughter.

I found a link on Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA.org) for a petition to request the depublishing of this court case. (side note and personal endorsement: **By the way, if you are a homeschooling family and are not a member of HSLDA, I personally encourage you to join. Per HSLDA's website: HSLDA was not involved with this case, and the family are not members. I have personally had to use my lawyer for advise on numerous occasions, especially when I was harassed by someone from the schools a few years ago.**)

Here is a link to sign the petition if you feel led to sign:

https://www2.hslda.org/Registrations/DepublishingCaliforniaCourtDecision/



Let us join together and pray for our homeschooling brothers and sisters in the state of California. Let's also pray for each other as we continue on this home school journey. Lastly, lift up our brothers and sisters at HSLDA as they work diligently day in and day out to fight for our legal rights to educate our children.

May we never take for granted this awesome privilege to teach our children at home in which The Lord has entrusted to us. Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails