Saturday, October 09, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Woman

Zoo-Wee Mama!!

(photo from booksamillion.com)

I had the silly pleasure of watching "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" this week. (How old am I? That's right..I'm still a kid at heart!)    In case you are not familiar with the movie it basically chronicles the life of Greg Heffley and his best bud, Rowley Jefferson, as they start their adventures into the dreaded middle school years.  Based on the books by Jeff Kinney, the movie had me laughing to the point of tears.  In the movie, Greg Heffley's goal is to get voted "Class Favorite" for the yearbook.  He went to great lengths to achieve his goal and to win the approval and attention of his peers.  At one point, he jeopardizes his friendship to 'save face'.    As one would expect (and as many of us have experienced), poor Greg fails greatly at earning the approval of others and trying to be something he is not.  

Reflecting back to the movie, I started thinking that at times, like Greg, maybe I have the same middle school mentality.  Wonder what my animated Wimpy book would look like if I could have one (which...side note...I Wimped Myself for fun.  click here for Wimped Beck ).   Could I possibly be trying to seek the approval of others--still??  After all these years? 

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.  Galatians 1:10

 Do I want to fit in and in my efforts to do so, forsake my beliefs and even deny Jesus in the process?  Do I care more about what others think than what The Lord thinks?  Do I say what I think people want to hear so that I don't offend people?  Are my motives always pure or are they self seeking and self focused?  Am I content just being who I am (the woman The Lord has made for His purpose) or am I striving to be like someone else?   

In the end, Greg had a wise friend that said to him, "One day middle school will end and become high school. And after that, it just becomes life. And all those things you think are important now won't be anymore."

Take hope!  We, too, have a Wise Friend.  His name is Jesus.  His Word is True.  He will show us the way.  The only approval in life that we need is from Him.  I'll leave you with this encouragement from His eternal Word:

"And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever." 1 John 2:17


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails