Saturday, October 20, 2007

Court

I was recently asked to sit with someone in court as they faced a charge.

While in court, I made some interesting observations. Like many, going into a court room is far from my favorite event in life. After being thoroughly searched, I was allowed in to the court room with others. I personally wasn’t charged with anything, but the setting itself was enough to make me nervous. As I waited for the session to begin, I noticed the casual chatter and laughter of some in the room. Finally, a sheriff’s deputy walked forward and recited the rules of the court. All stand when the Judge enters, no chewing gum, no hats, no sunglasses, no slouching, no giggling, absolutely no talking, and on and on.


Then the big moment arrived as the Judge entered the room, “All rise!” the deputy declared and everyone suddenly stood. No one dared to continue to sit when the Judge walked in. It was amazing how quiet everything became and even more amazing how even the most unruly instantly appeared to be the most respectful.As each name was called, the person charged slowly stood, then with a deliberate, dreadful pace they each nervously approached the Judge's bench. Each person waited with anticipation to hear the Judge’s decision. “Guilty” or “Not Guilty” was pronounced on each case that was heard. Sentences were handed out and some who had seemed so unconcerned only a few minutes earlier suddenly looked downcast and worried as they were led away to pay the price for their wrongdoing.


After court was over, I was driving home and thinking about the experience. Then it hit me, there will come a day in the future where all will stand before THE Judge, The Great I AM. In HIS courtroom, there will hardly be any talking, slouching, or gum chewing… fear and dread will grip everyone. Books will be opened and names will be read. There will be weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth as eternal sentences are pronounced. No appeals. No continuances. No more litigation.


What will that day be like for you? It is worth considering.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails