Monday, September 06, 2010

Back To School Blues

For the past thirteen years, this time of year has found me writing lesson plans, getting our “class room” ready, preparing Beck’s café’ menu and praying desperately for The Lord’s help for another upcoming home school year.

This year the back to school routine is no more.  (insert loud sigh)   Since Jordyn’s recent homeschool high school graduation I have been thinking and praying about this new season of my life and what the future holds for me. I have been desperately asking The Lord guide me according to His will for me. 

  A few weeks ago I was given a ‘lead’ for a part time job.  I was very interested and a bit excited.  Being a stay at home/home schooling mom the past thirteen years has left my resume a bit dusty.  Did I say dusty? Hmm…how about non-existent.    

Thinking about writing a resume left me baffled.   How do you summarize motherhood in a one page job description and include references?   ( I humored myself with the thought that I could list my children as my references but I have no guarantees that they would give me rave reviews unless I bribed them.)

Ready to write my resume, I opened a new Word document and started searching  “How To Write A Resume”.  
Here is one tip that I found very interesting:

The point of a resume is not to get the job, it's to get the interview. 

Thinking about a potential interview made me immediately think about the possible need for a new outfit (of course new shoes too).  My thoughts of a new outfit led me to chase rabbits looking online at the latest fall fashion trends.  Needless to say, I never typed my resume.

Tonight I found out the part time job opportunity did not work out.  Bummer.  Now I have no excuse to go buy a pencil skirt and heels.  In all seriousness I truly accepted this as a closed door from The Lord.

In my reading tonight I stumbled across Ephesians 2:10

God has made us what we are. In Christ Jesus, God made us to do good works, which God planned in advance for us to live our lives doing.

The words I read encouraged me and lifted my spirits.  I especially liked Francis Chan’s take on the verse:

 “He designed me for a specific work!”

Looks like I have a job after all.  Work that He created just for ME to do.  Work just for HIM!  He is my Boss. No resume needed, no interview required.  I am already hired!  He hired me before I was born!  And, come on, what company can beat HIS benefit package?

I pray that as I continue to seek Him for direction during this new season of my life that I will always look to His work as my primary work and any other work as my “second” job.  




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails