Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Turkeys and Wedding Bells




Turkey, stuffing, and wedding cakes—OH MY!  In addition to Thanksgiving Day, our family is preparing for my brother’s wedding this weekend!  I am excited about all that is in store the next few days.  To keep it real, I can feel my gut growing larger by the minute thinking of all the gluttonous behavior that is about to happen.    I may go and buy one of these for the weekend (they are not just for pregnant women anymore—at least in my opinion).

All joking aside.  I LOVE the holiday season and all that comes with it each year.   I LOVE Christmas but Thanksgiving is precious too.  I do believe that every day we should be thankful for all The Lord has done for us and all His blessing.  Tomorrow is the ULTIMATE Thankful Thursday.   I am thankful that I start each Thanksgiving  with watching the parade.   In addition, I am very thankful  that my husband is no longer in the grocery retail business and is home with us each Thanksgiving Day.  I am also thankful that my mom cooks (and that I don’t have too!!).  I am thankful we are all healthy and alive this year.  

While keeping it real, I realize for some of my friends and many others, the holidays can be challenging.  Getting family together is not always a blessed time.  It can be a source of frustration and discouragement.   It can test our patience and at times, our faith.  My Bible reading this morning landed me at Romans 12.   I was especially convicted while reading these verses: 

 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.  Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.  Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.  Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.  Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

In the hustle and bustle of the next few days and weeks, I pray that I can live by these words.  I pray I can never lack in zeal while serving The Lord.  I want to be joyful and faithful in prayer and share God’s word to those who are in need.

I pray these words for you tomorrow while you gather family and friends near and far around you. 

Reflect Jesus to all in everything that you say and do!!  As I heard this morning,  “Live Each day as your last, because one day it will be!”

Let’s make the most of every day this holiday season!  




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails